Thursday, July 29, 2010

Aipan- part 2

Art is an expression of life. From long time human beings exalted moments of happiness. Their feelings and emotions were reflected in different activities namely dance, music, lyrics, paintings, costumes etc. These are the areas where they have contributed well and found happiness and solace. Initially all these forms of art were in very primal form, just like a sprig which sprouts in rainy season at its own. In certain cases it was simple and earthen also. Gradually its canvas expanded but beauty of the folk art, still remain untouched.

In my last blog I wrote about Aipan. Aipan design changes according to the occasion it is made for. Here I am showing Dhuli Arghya Chowki .This aipan made on small stool at the time of wedding when the bridegroom is introduced and welcomed by the bride's family, he stands on the Chauki (small stool) only. Painted in a tree like figure with branches coming out on the top it resembles a pitcher with Shiva's Trishul or Trident on the top. At the base is Bramha the creator and in the middle Vishnu. In case the Aipan of a particular occasion is not known, a swastika is drawn. Swastika symbolizes creation and growth and encourages people to move ahead in the search of success.

You can see below how it take shape.

Step 1


Step 2

Step 3




Step 4




step 5



close view



11 comments:

  1. Deepika ..... lovely Aipan, never knew about this hidden talent of yours :) In Odisha we too do something quite similar to this with rice flour batter.

    Cheers!
    Satrupa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is wonderful...Keep up the good work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very interesting post.I love these paintings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You All....for showing interest in my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, you are really talented. Glad I found your blog. Hope you can drop by My Dream Canvas, Would love to connect with you. I am a follower :-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with Satrupa..We also do the same thing with rice flour batter in West Bengal :-)

    Take care
    Sulagna
    http://e-senseofspicenfragrance-sulagna.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very fine work and great artistic hand Deepika.
    I am also big fan of this art work, in Rajasthan we have similiar kind of Mandana.

    ReplyDelete
  8. HI Deepi
    I love your art work! I am writing a story about art in the Kumaon region and wonder if I may use two of your stunning images with a link back to this site and photographer credit? I am working on a site that promotes women centric India

    ReplyDelete