Friday, July 23, 2010

Aipan - Traditional art of Kumaon






Aipan is a traditional art (painting form) of Kumaon,Uttrakhand, India. The traditional aipan of Kumaon are drawn in linear art, geometrical design mostly drawn for religious and decorative purpose. Made with geru(ochre) and biswar(rice paste) Aipan is an integral part of kumaoni culture and its designs carried on from generation to generation







I grew up watching Aipan everywhere in my grandparents house .It was there at the main doors of the house and in the front courtyard ,mandir ,even the Tulsi pot was covered with Vasudhara(vertical lines,in odd numbers 5,7,9,11).Every Deepawali, I remember my grandmother making marvellous designs at the doorsteps using last three fingers of her hand . She would let me make circle with geru on the stairs and would follow making tiny foot prints of Lakshmiji and telling me that goddess will come at night to bless us with wealth and prosperity. My love for painting started with making those circles of geru with her and there she passed on me the tradition of Kumaon.
I have used acrylic paint to make the aipan shown in above pictures.

































































9 comments:

  1. Hi Dipi,

    Good to see you on the blog, I was wondering all these while that you must be a creative person but never have been so sure until I saw this one. Beautiful work. Its Good that now we will see both creative and a writer's side of you here on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. also, now that you are into blogging it would be nice to read your thoughts on mundane issues of life, Keep it up. Kandarp

    ReplyDelete
  3. .Hi Deepika,
    I am very happy to see u here so keep pouring your creative ideas and i will get a good source for my home decor

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank You, for your encouraging comments... keep posting your comments!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey DEEPI, I loved the aipans with ganesh ji in it...can u send me its clear picture without the diya in front...i wanted to use it for my wedding card....ill be really grateful..thanks :)please help..

      Delete
  5. Learned a new information today!!Lovely :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't know if it's just me or if everybody else
    experiencing problems with your site. It looks like some of the written text in your content are running off the
    screen. Can somebody else please provide feedback and let me know if this is happening to them too?

    This may be a issue with my browser because I've had this happen previously. Appreciate it

    Feel free to surf to my page; plus de vue sur youtube

    ReplyDelete
  7. Helpful info. Lucky me I discovered your website accidentally, and
    I'm stunned why this coincidence did not came about in advance! I bookmarked it.

    Also visit my website - acheter followers twitter
    Also see my web site - acheter retweet

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi to all, the contents existing at this web page are really amazing
    for people experience, well, keep up the nice work fellows.


    Look into my blog ... link building system

    ReplyDelete