Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Warli Painting

Folk art has a unique way of depicting life. Its earthiness and simplicity has charm of its own and this is the reason why I admire Warli paintings. So let’s explore the world of Warlis. Warli painting is a folk art made by the Warli tribe based in Thane district of Maharastra ,India. The word "Warli" comes from "Warla " which means a piece of land or a field . Warli tribe have their own belief system, lifestyle and customs which have nothing in common with Hinduism. They speak an unwritten dialect mingling Sanskrit, Marathi and Gujarati words. Warli paintings are very primitive in nature depicting everyday life. These paintings are simply painted on mud, charcoal and cow dung treated surfaces with rice paste for the colour white. Geometrical shapes like circle, triangle and square are used to form human and animal figures. Simple in nature warli paintings unfolds the scenes of the tribal life along with trees, animals and birds in a very cohesive way. Now a days,Warli paintings can be seen on paper, vases, mugs, bedsheets, apparel too. No doubt, Warli painting has long way to go. I got so much inspired by the warli paintings that I painted a canvas bag with warli motives. Well I am pretty happy with the result.... not bad for the first timer ....what do
you think?



                       





sketch on paper












19 comments:

  1. Deepika my jaws dropped as I scrolled down ....... I am in lack of words to admire this piece of art !

    Cheers,
    Satrupa

    ReplyDelete
  2. My god !! You are so talented.Awesome work ...

    Best Regards
    Sulagna
    http://e-senseofspicenfragrance-sulagna.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome...
    Keep going, Great work.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fine, simple, earthy. Bring some more to focus.

    Ram.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome bhabhi ......1-2 me mera naam likh dena ....mai gift soch ke le loonga ...

    ReplyDelete
  6. belated happy bday .... i remember u r leo ...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thank you everyone...for the encouraging comments...

    Thank you Ankur for the birthday wishes!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. amazing deepti,blog hopping i came to your blog.lovely blog.keep it up.good work

    ReplyDelete
  9. Deepika this is really great n very creative.
    :-)soon u will see me implementing this once my son's vacation is over bcoz i dont want him to interfere with his artistic mind.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely way to dress yup an ordinary bag!! gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey do you have some suggestions for Warli painting that can be made on the corners of switchboards on the wall.

    ReplyDelete
  12. beautiful!!
    Nati from Brazil
    http://natiquill.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  13. lovely warli art...i saw ur other art projects too..u r very creative..I m following ur blog :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi,JUS CAME ACROSS UR BLOG WHILE SEARCHING FOR MADHUBANI DESIGNS...U HAV A LOVELY BLOG.I WAS MESMERISED BY UR WONDERFUL TALENTS...ESPECIALLY THE WARLI ON BAG DOESN'T SHOW U AS A BEGGINER..EXCELLENT WORKS!!I FEEL REALLY HAPPY TO FOLLOW U :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. visit GruhUdyog.in for online selling of Warli Paintings and other Indian Art & Craft products.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Deepika Madam

    Excellent effort on preparing bag with Warli design motif. It is a great piece of artwork. Please keep up the same.

    Madam please look into my Warli paintings greetings cards which i shared in my Heritage of India blog.

    http://indian-heritage-and-culture.blogspot.in/2013/02/warli-paintings-greetings-cards.html

    Madam these are my some other messages.

    http://indian-heritage-and-culture.blogspot.in/2013/02/my-first-seminar-on-indian-heritage-and.html

    http://indian-heritage-and-culture.blogspot.in/2012/12/indian-woman-in-19th-century-vintage.html

    Deepika madam i request you please read my above message and share your valuable comments on my Heritage of India blog.

    ReplyDelete