Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Little Stitches

“An empty mind is a devil’s workshop and one must keep doing something.” inspired by this fair idea my maa decided to keep me busy as soon as my school closed for summer holidays. So after enquiring here and there she finally made up her mind and declared …”You are going to learn embroidery in this summer break... its only 15 minute walk from here …50 rupees ($1.5) for a month (its in budget) and its better to learn something new rather than sitting idle…Mamta (our neighbor’s daughter) is going there already… she will be accompanying you tomorrow.”

The news wasn’t disturbing at all… I knew this would happen but what saddened me the most that I was going to miss Doordarshan’s afternoon telecast… Alas! The decision was made. So the next day, things were ready for me… one meter pink cloth, four maroon color embroidery floss and two needles packed in my tote bag…Mamta was punctual, I must mention this… while leaving the house Maa gave me two instructions from the kitchen… take your umbrella! (Sun screen lotions wasn’t there in the market back then:)) and be careful with the needles… don’t poke your fingers!

While walking towards the place, Mamta briefed me on the three other girls I will be meeting there and the embroidery lady… they call her, Bullu Aunty. ”Bullu Aunty lives in a one bedroom house with big veranda. She stitches suits, dresses, embroiders bed linens, table cloths, sarees and teaches embroidery to support her family. She is very nice, but very particular about the neat work and often asked to redo stitches if it’s not up to her expectation.” stated Mamta without a pause.

As soon we reached Bullu Aunty’s place, she greeted us with a smile and lead us to the veranda where other girls were sitting. I was mesmerized by her incredible talent as soon as I entered the house…every corner had her mark. After little chit chat she explained what she’ll be teaching in next thirty days…then she passed some patterns with the carbon paper to transfer on the piece of cloth… and with two strings in the needle my first lessons began... after few days I started enjoying it and soon one month passed. During these thirty days she taught me different stitches with great interest and patience… some I still remember and some not…. all I can say now... for me, Mamta and other girls… it was summer holidays well spent… for her it was a means of earning money which she did with honesty ...but what I really learnt from her … is to give your very best shot and above all enjoy whatever you do…

Kantha or the running stitch was first thing she taught us. Here I blended it with a freebie from an airline….Take a look.




Waiting for your feedback...

















with little blanket stitch and a piece of cloth, my coin purse looks new....Yeah!!




Have a great weekend everyone.

11 comments:

  1. "a stitch in time saves nine". Great work and thanks for sharing the story.

    ReplyDelete
  2. A great idea to recycle the freebies .... Luv d makeovers. Nice write up too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely ideas, I love the way you have transformed the bags with stitches. Thanks for linking in the carnival :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fine. It is a delight to see the creativity after a long break. Continue to brood and think, the outcome will be fine. RAM

    ReplyDelete
  5. The embroidery work was nice and... more than that i liked the narration... and thanks for this wonderful idea..

    ReplyDelete
  6. very creative...loved it...but the best part was the writeup :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great work Deepika, can you please tell me how do u use watermark on your images. U can write to me on sarika.chowdhery@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  8. wow i saw all that beautiful work in jaipuri suits,really love yr hard work.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks Deepika for the reply. Its really amazing how Picasa3 works. I never checked these features in Picasa... Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete