Thursday, February 17, 2011

Madhubani Painting


So this time I decided to make a painting… it’s been a while since I touched my color box. I wanted to make something bright, vibrant and colorful ...something that immediately lifts up the spirit and the only thing flashed before my eyes is the Madhubani Painting. So I made one but before jumping on my work I am sharing some facts about The Madhubani Paintings.

Madhubani Painting is a traditional art form practiced in the Indian villages of Madhubani and Mithila in Bihar. It is also known as Mitila Paintings. Madhubani, which in literal translation means Forest of Honey (Madhu-honey, Bans-forest or wood) has created its own place world wide.
Madhubani painting has its distinct style and well recognized by it. Done on various mediums such as cloth, hand made paper and canvas Madhubani painting originally made on cow dung treated wall with natural paints.Though the main themes of Madhubani paintings are images of Hindu deities such as Krishna, Ram, Shiva, Durga, Lakshmi and Saraswati, you will be able to find beautiful Madhubani paintings of sun, moon, daily activities, nature, flora and fauna too. Madhubani paintings display vibrant and bold use of colors and traditional geometric patterns that supports the main theme. Some of the main features of all the Madhubani paintings are double line borders and gaps between the two lines filled with the cross or straight lines, floral patterns, abstract-like figures of deities and bulging eyes. No shading technique is used in these paintings but colors are always bright, bold and beautiful.

Let’s see how my painting turned out...

















Have a great weekend everyone.


21 comments:

  1. Vibrant,Colorful and artfully done. !!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brilliant Painting. You too have a great weekend dear.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous . I liked the string hanging by the side.

    ReplyDelete
  4. it`s so beautiful & nd i have no words to expres the beauty of this painting....

    Anuj Sharma


    http://www.anujshrotriya.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Очень красиво! Я ваша поклонница!))

    ReplyDelete
  6. Amazing work,I love Madhubani paintings alot,U reminded me of my childhood days when my Mom was after me to learn "Madhubani painting"...plzzzz do keep posting such nice nd beautiful piece of art !!Awesome work !!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sorry 2 say but needs 2 be improved...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful! My husband and I are very fond of Madhubanis.

    ReplyDelete
  9. great work deepi--guruji bless u--love rinky

    ReplyDelete
  10. I like Madhubani Painting paintings. Thank you for this valuable post..........

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very nice! WHat colours did you use? Water colours?

    ReplyDelete